Ponderosa Community Services District 
   Home      FAQ
Q. I am ready to build on my vacant lot, how do I get water service?
A. Download a water application and mail with applicable fees to the address on the application.
Q. My water pressure seems very low.
A. You may have an undetected leak, check by listening for running water when all faucets are turned off. Or there may be a system wide problem. Contact the water manager, David Robertson.
Q. There is no water when I turn on the faucet.
A. If you just arrived at your cabin and have no water, first ensure that your main valve is open. If you still have no water or your pressure seems too low, contact the water manager, David Robertson for assistance.